Thread: Looking for a specific Steel Shape Material chart

Associate Engineer

Looking for a specific Steel Shape Material chart

I used to have a chart that outlined steel shapes, showed what material they were generally made from (A36, A500 Grade B, etc..) and it also showed their strength properties. I no longer have that chart and can not seem to find it on the net - which is where I found it originally.

Anyone aware of the chart I am talking about or know where I could find it?

Associate Engineer
    Found it - it was in MSC 15th edition:
    table-2-4-cropped_skkmw5.jpg

They is a tool I use all the time on Engineers Edge that could help as well.

AISC Steel Structural Shapes Properties Viewer

Lead Engineer
    While I am not offering any opinion on which is correct, it is concerning to me to see that the values for I , Z & J for 4x4x1/4 sq structural tubing in the above reference table are not the same as those given in the online PDF reference: "HSS1801-A1085-Specification-Brochure" by the Steel Tubing Institute; and, that they both vary from values I calculated using the classical equations for these properties as well, when all three are based upon the same .233 in. wall thickness for this item. Maybe it is from the way each treats the rounded corners on the tubes.

Does anyone know of another reference for these values for this item for comparison as well?