Thread: Please help answer this question

Associate Engineer

Please help answer this question

Can someone please help answer the following questions?

C3. Using the fixed fastener formula calculate the true position tolerance for the two patterns shown below. (Show your work).

C3.1. The size of the bolts are (diameter) 0.492 – 0.500 and the size of the clearance holes are (diameter) 0.520 – 0.536.
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/PETERB~1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.png[/IMG]
    C3.2 The size of the bolts are (diameter) 0.245 – 0.250 and the size of the clearance holes are (diameter) 0.2656 – 0.270.

C3.3 Use the floating fastener formula and calculate the true position tolerance for the above 4 hole pattern, given the size of the bolts are (diameter) 0.492 – 0.500 and the size of the clearance holes are (diameter) 0.520 – 0.536.
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/PETERB~1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image004.png[/IMG]
    C3.4 Using the floating fastener formula calculate the plus/minus tolerance for the holes shown above if the bolts are 0.370 – 0.375 and the clearance holes are 0.386 – 0.397.

C3.5 Repeat the above calculation using the fixed fastener formula.
    Attached Images Attached Images

From who's book/material is this?

Quote Originally Posted by peterbotros91 View Post
    Can someone please help answer the following questions?

C3. Using the fixed fastener formula calculate the true position tolerance for the two patterns shown below. (Show your work).

C3.1. The size of the bolts are (diameter) 0.492 – 0.500 and the size of the clearance holes are (diameter) 0.520 – 0.536.
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/PETERB~1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.png[/IMG]
    C3.2 The size of the bolts are (diameter) 0.245 – 0.250 and the size of the clearance holes are (diameter) 0.2656 – 0.270.

C3.3 Use the floating fastener formula and calculate the true position tolerance for the above 4 hole pattern, given the size of the bolts are (diameter) 0.492 – 0.500 and the size of the clearance holes are (diameter) 0.520 – 0.536.
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/PETERB~1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image004.png[/IMG]
    C3.4 Using the floating fastener formula calculate the plus/minus tolerance for the holes shown above if the bolts are 0.370 – 0.375 and the clearance holes are 0.386 – 0.397.

C3.5 Repeat the above calculation using the fixed fastener formula.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    It's from a past Professional Engineers of Ontrio exam

Ontrio?

http://www.peo.on.ca/index.php?ci_id=2060&la_id=1#News

I'm a little confused, when did any PE test include tolerance analysis such as Fixed Fastener Condition?

To what dimensioning and tolerancing standard?

Associate Engineer
    these are technical exams

I’m going to pass on providing a detailed (show my work) answer. If you’re seeking a PE in any place of the world you should know the basic equation and the required algebra to get the answers.

Quite honesty the question looks like it comes from a competitor of Engineers Edge GD&T training resources and we don’t support school work or competitor’s material.

Moreover, getting the solution yet not learning the concept doesn’t help you or your future employer

Here’s a link to a free fixed fastener calculator:
    https://www.engineersedge.com/fixed_fastener.htm
    And Floating Fastener Condition is here:
    https://www.engineersedge.com/floating_fastener.htm
    And a bunch of other tolerance related calculators and resources:
    https://www.engineersedge.com/tolerance_chart.htm

Good luck