Thread: Specificaton Revisions on Drawings

Associate Engineer

Specificaton Revisions on Drawings

Say I have a drawing that has "Specification ABC revision 1" on the drawing. If I cannot obtain Specification ABC revision 1 but now am able to obtain the latest revision which is "Specification ABC revision 3" is that allowable? Is the opinion one of 2 choices below...

A. To have the exact revision number on the drawing to cover drawing requirements.
    B. To have a later or latest revision especially if it does not pertain to any changes to the subject part which is able to cover drawing requirements.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

You should work to whatever drawing revision you are directed to work with. If you can't get the correct revision - then you can't move forward.

Additionally, don't follow any guidelines set out on a public discussion forum consult with the responsible entity.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    It raises several good topics on revision control and having the latest and greatest specifications understanding that new drawings are rarely issued to catch up to a specification. We will consult with VOC.

Associate Engineer
    Another consideration here is that if you cannot get the current revision to work with before moving forward as suggested above and you need to acquire the specification at a later time understand that previous revisions are not available as most companies lock up the previous revisions so that they are not mistakenly circulated. So if Specification ABC revision 1 was not made available at start of work then a later revision is the only option.