Thread: Solidworks or Autocad or both

wakez

Solidworks or Autocad or both

Hello. I'll be attending University's MEng manufacturing engineering program in September and will work as a manufacturing engineer (hopefully) after graduation. This summer I want to learn the software in the title. I know a bit of solidworks from undergrad but I'm not sure which software will be useful the most in the job. I checked bunch of manufacturing engineering job posts and almost all of them require autocad knowledge/experience. But I'm not sure to what extent autocad is used. There are courses offered in autocad in my hometown but I'm hesitant to enroll in one because I don't know if the content of the course will match what manufacturing engineers do with autocad. So, I was wondering if someone could inform me about this? Also, should I improve myself in solidworks or should I try to master them both? I feel quite indecisive about this. Thanks in advance!

CAD is a tool - like Word or excel. All CAD can be reasonably learned in about two weeks and a little formal training.

Solid Works seems to be most popular today Autodesk is also widely used.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

wakez
    Thanks for the reply. I think I'll master solidworks ********************and study only autocad plant 3D instead of learning everything about it. Do you think this would be a good idea? I don't know what features of autocad manufacturing engineers use. Does anyone know it by any chance?

Never heard of those books but these are excellent CAD training books:

https://www.engineersedge.com/engineerstore/

SolidWorks for Technology and Engineering

Associate Engineer
    Hi Wakez,

A manufacturing engineer can use solidworks and autocad for designing fixtures, tools or any manufacturing equipments that is needed for process.

Principle Engineer
    Here's an idea:

Join the Experimental Aircraft Assn. ($40) and get the student version of solidworks free.

Associate Engineer
    I would suggest AutoCAD for more 2D-based design and construction projects, whereas SolidWorks is the best choice for mechanical, machine, and product design. It's always a great choice to try the programs out for yourself and get experience with their features before making a decision.