Thread: Hydraulic bottle jack calculations

Associate Engineer

Hydraulic bottle jack calculations

Hello, I am having a project on university about hydraulic bottle jack. I have to do calculations of every part of bottle jack, but I cant find examples of that calculations so I dont know where to start. Parts: plunger, reservoir, extension screw, pump cylinder, nut and cup screw, hollow and solid ram, handle & socket. Also I have to do stress analyisis of all parts

Principle Engineer
    You can start at the handle or the screw extension and work from either end.

Starting at the handle, treat it like a beam and apply say 1 pounds of force. This results in loads on the fulcrum and the plunger.

With the load on the plunger, use the diameter to get a pressure apply the pressure to the bottom of the ram. calculate the force on the bottom of the ram.

At one pound on the handle the ram pressure will probably be less than the rated capacity of the jack. So proportion the jack capacity to your result and increase the force on the handle and all of the resulting stresses and pressure by that amount.

Use your new pressure to calculate the stress on the outer cylinder walls and ends.

The screw threads are in shear.

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    great, thank you.

Associate Engineer
    I go to university in Rijeka, Croatia