Thread: Strain gauge into a carbon shaft

Associate Engineer

Strain gauge into a carbon shaft

Hi all,
    I am working on a project where I have to calculate the force applied to the end of a hollow circular shaft made of carbon (diameter 30mm - length 1000mm). The system can be simplified to a cantilever beam with a load (approx. 500N) applied to the end. I don't require a tight accuracy (+/- 10N) and I need to install the gauges inside the circular shaft.
    Could you please advise what should be the best strain gauge arrangements to be used?

My initial idea was to go for a full bridge layout, however I don't know how to position them to minimize the effect of the small diameter of the shaft. Can I glue them paired one in front of each other (2 at the top and 2 at the bottom) rather then one next to each other?

I am relatively new to strain gauging so if you require any further detail or I have not been clear enough please let me know and I will make sure to answer your questions.

Thank you!

If your just putting a bending load on it two sets of linear strain gauges oriented 90 degs to each other. mm
    just ensure the bending load is aligned with the gauges.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.