Thread: Automated door two actions...

Associate Engineer

Automated door two actions...

Hello, I need to create automation for a two action door. Looking for some expert help on simplest way to achieve this. The door needs to swing up 90 degrees verticle, from verticle to horizontal. Then it retracts into cabinet. I realize you will likely need to know dimensions, travels length, and weight of door. Any other info you would need to help suggest how to go about this. I had thought of a linear actuator to lift, then I could do a second for the retraction, just wasnt sure if there is a simpler way with one device instead of multiple. I want to build this to open and close via outlet command from an Amazon Alexa device.

Lead Engineer
    By using guide slots on the inside of the cabinet sides and placing rollers on extensions on the back of the door near the top edge that are engaged in those guide slots; then, you can have the door simultaneously rise up and retract in one swinging motion.
    Last edited by JAlberts; 06-22-2018 at 06:45 PM.

Associate Engineer
    Not really a great option for this design. I have decided to use two linear actuators. My next question is they are 12volt. What best to use to power them to step down from 120volt outlet. Second I dont trust the Amazon device much for carrying out the two motions. Suggestions? Something programmable, or a limit switch to kick the second actuator for retraction?

Banned
    What material is the door made of? I would like to know the approximate weight at least.