Thread: Improper use hazard labelling – responsibilities?

Associate Engineer

Improper use hazard labelling – responsibilities?

Hi
    I am designing an automotive security device which will include prevention of handheld grinder attacks. Does anyone know or can signpost me to what steps I need to take as a manufacturer to avoid being sued if someone injures themselves trying to cut off my device.

I have deliberately included properties to jam the grinder which could easily cause the user/thief injury.

I can imagine I need a visible label saying “do not grind – will cause injury” or something but is that enough to make me non liable? Given cigarettes are sold with “smoking kills” suggests to me liability can be prevented just through labelling.

Your help would be greatly appreciated as a newbie in product manufacturing

Graham

Associate Engineer
    Training is key...labeling is secondary. Label the tool "Use by Authorized Personnel Only" do not label any carrying case or box. Train the proper personnel, Have them sign a training certificate ....they'll hang it on their toolbox. A training log that is kept by the safety person or HR
    Explain this rule to HR. If untrained or unaurthorized personnel are using this tool. Report them to HR. HR can fire them after so many warnings.
    This should be done on any machinery. It will save you in court.