Thread: Three (3) Point Suspension System for Measuring Flatness

Associate Engineer

Three (3) Point Suspension System for Measuring Flatness

Hello All!

It is a pleasure to have the capability to post and ask questions to such a knowledgeable platform of folks. I am in search of a set of precision points (please see attachments) that are exactly the same height so I can measure flatness on Steel "Strikes". Basically, bricks which will be magnetically held in order to keep a door locked. These strikes must be within .001" flat to themselves. We have a CMM which can quickly measure them and spit out a nice report. But sometimes the CMM is being used for other things, and we have to revert to the traditional method of suspending the part and measuring the delta from one side to the other using and indicator attached to a stand (please see attached).

Does anyone know where I can purchase or get more information on PRECISION 3 POINT SUSPENSION STANDS? Any information would be a great help. I have scoured the internet and have found NOTHING. Maybe they have a different name, but I have tried many variations of: Three-point stands for flatness!

I thank you in advance for any knowledge you may share!

Attached Images Attached Images

Principle Engineer

Associate Engineer
    Thank you, Hudson, very close. If I call them, they may be able to suggest something, but I am not seeing anything directly on their website. It's strange, I thought the method I am using is very common, but I cannot find the stands anywhere. How does everyone else verify flatness, not using a CMM?

Principle Engineer
    You have not shown us the part that you are checking. Can you make a fixture that has two supports with an indicator between them so that you can place the fixture directly upon the part in the manner of a wide but shallow depth gauge? I have designed something like that for clutch discs. Use two points on the part as the reference and check a spot in between.

For really fine work check out optical flats.