Thread: Special pneumatic valve

Associate Engineer

Confused Special pneumatic valve

I'm currently designing a braking system, that will use pneumatic actuation to push a brake pad on a cylinder forward. The problem that I've run into is that I want to make it fault tolerant, without copying the whole system and making it redundant.

The valve (or system of valves) should be able to first let through 0.2 L of gas, that is under a pressure of 30 bar (situation 1 & 2). Then the brakes are activated. In this activated state there are 2 possibilities:
    Situation 3.1: the pressure of the output drops, due to a leak or breakage. It this case the valve should be closed.
    Situation 3.2: the pressure of the input gets lower, this is to deactivate the brakes. In this case the valve should stay open.
    After situation 3.2 the system should return to state 0. In situation 3.1, the system should stay in that state.

After a few days trying to come up with a clever solution with pneumatic velves I can't come up with a something suitable. Therefore I turn to you. In the ideal case the system doesn't require any external energy, as the goal is to make it failsafe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vincent_goverse; 10-01-2018 at 07:09 AM.

I think you should consider a valve controlled by electronics reading a pressure sensor in the system. Research PID controllers.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

ajith_n

Join DateOct 2018Posts1

Special pneumatic valve

I'm currently designing a braking system, that will use pneumatic actuation to push a brake pad on a cylinder forward. The problem that I've run into is that I want to make it fault tolerant, without copying the whole system and making it redundant.

I'm currently designing abraking system, that will use pneumatic actuation to push a brake pad on a cylinder forward. The problem that I've run into is that I want to make it fault tolerant, without copying the whole system and making it redundant.

You want a brake system that will not fail in operation ... ever... but without redundancy?

Look at how heavy transport trucks brake systems are design as well as trains. They fail to a locked brake configuration.