Thread: Galvanic corrosion?

hmtalmid

Galvanic corrosion?

The temples on my glasses have a monel core wrapped with gold or gold plated wire. The hooks of the temples form a blue corrosion when worn in contact with my ears, even though the hooks are covered by plastic tube. (If I don't put tubes on the hooks, the hooks react with my skin and cause inflammation). Is this corrosion galvanic? What is the blue chemical resulting from the corrosion? Is there a solvent which will dissolve the blue chemical? Is there a treatment which will stop the corrosion?

Android
    sounds like its the plating has some copper in it and the sweat + oxygen = corrosion.
    gold plating is probably not.....oops

Technical Fellow
    I'm with Android, I seriously doubt any gold is in place there.

The blue as Android also surmises is probably as a result of corrosion between body fluids, sweat, salt etc and is making Copper Sulphate. Is this the color blue?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper%28II%29_sulfate

It is probably capillary action that is causing fluids to leach along between the plastic tube and the metal and sit there long enough to corrode (like copper rust) with body warmth. Warm water would dissolve it but you would need to take the plastic tubes off. Next time get Titanium framed glasses.