Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Identifying a piece of hardware holding a radio telescope dish

  1. #1
    Associate Engineer
    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Identifying a piece of hardware holding a radio telescope dish


    My fellow students at RRCC have installed a donated radio telescope dish on campus. The dish has a rusted part that I'd like to learn more about so I can replace it. I don't know what it is called. The attached photo shows it circled in red. The part is meant to raise and lower the dish's azimuth by way of a turning a center piece that rotates around two threaded, large bolts on either end. I'd like ultimately to know how much it would have extended and how much it would have retracted if it were working. As it rests it is about 20 inches long. If I could figure out it max and min sizes it would help me select a new actuator to replace it. Does anyone know what it's called and how far these things can extend? (A ballpark answer like double or a third or that is the max or that is the min would help.)
    Last edited by ljr8675309; 12-14-2018 at 07:04 PM.

  2. #2
    Administrator Kelly Bramble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Bold Springs, GA
    It's a turnbuckle. You might be able to clean it up with WD40 and a brush.

    When you replace it, consider coating it with silicon from a spray can (Marine store or auto). That will help it not oxidize.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts