Thread: Pressure Vessel Design

Associate Engineer

Pressure Vessel Design

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to determine the appropriate wall thickness for a flat end cap on a cylindrical tank. I found the equation below but am a little confused as to when it applies.

https://www.engineersedge.com/pressu...rnal_14427.htm

The equation says it should be applied when:

1.) When d does not exceed 24 in. The inside diameter of the tank is 13.5"
    2.) th/d is not less than 0.05 or greater than 0.25. The actual thickness (th) is 1/4" so th/d is less than 0.05 (0.0185)
    3.) Head thickness, th is not less than the shell thickness. The head thickness and the shell thickness are currently the same size (1/4")

Under these conditions, do all 3 need to be met for the equation to apply or is it valid if any of the conditions are met?

If this is not the correct equation then can anyone point me in the right direction?

The tank is open to atmosphere and shouldn't be under pressure during operation. However, my goal is to design the tank for a maximum pressure of 100 PSI and once I have the formulas set up correctly, make changes from there.

Thanks,

Bryan

Lead Engineer
    In the US you can use the ASME Section VIII Pressure Vessel Code Section UG-34 for the design analysis if you can get access to that code book.