Thread: Position on coaxial features

Associate Engineer

Position on coaxial features

Hello all. I need help checking position in regards to a threaded section related to a concentric coaxial diameter (datum A). I'll attach an image. I simply need to know how to PHYSICALLY check this position. If I put the threaded section in a V-block, an indicator on datum A, and rotate, that's simply runout, correct?

So how do I check position here? Can it even be done simply, or will I need to run this on our Zeiss CMM? Please help!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

I think you have to run it on the CMM. Your A is cylinder which locks level and origin, clocking(rotation) in that case is not needed, center line of the thread has to be always inside .0002 cylindrical zone.

Associate Engineer
    Thank you, that's what I was thinking. I'm new to using our CMM, all inspection tips have ball ends. Wondering how to get a good OD on a threaded portion? I'd have to try and hit all the high spots on the thread, which I think will be difficult. Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by steve_lopez View Post
    Hello all. I need help checking position in regards to a threaded section related to a concentric coaxial diameter (datum A). I'll attach an image. I simply need to know how to PHYSICALLY check this position. If I put the threaded section in a V-block, an indicator on datum A, and rotate, that's simply runout, correct?

So how do I check position here? Can it even be done simply, or will I need to run this on our Zeiss CMM? Please help!!
    By default, position location measurements should be made to the pitch diameter. Though you may get adequate measurement from the major diameter as well. To very the pitch diameter size and location use a CMM with the following:

The Three-Wire Itch Diameter Measurement method should be used unless you have other technology available.

See: Measuring Pitch Diameters Using Three Wire Method.

A thread go/no-go gage is best.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_lopez View Post
    Thank you, that's what I was thinking. I'm new to using our CMM, all inspection tips have ball ends. Wondering how to get a good OD on a threaded portion? I'd have to try and hit all the high spots on the thread, which I think will be difficult. Suggestions?
    I don't know what software you have on Zeiss, on PCDMIS which I am familiar with you would measure auto circles and use pitch function.

Associate Engineer
    Our Zeiss uses Calypso software. Kelly, We do measure pitch diameter with the three pins on a SuperMic. Not sure how you'd do that on the Zeiss though.