Thread: Title block tolerance applied to hole diameter with geometric positional tolerance

Associate Engineer

Title block tolerance applied to hole diameter with geometric positional tolerance

When the position of a hole is established using a geometric tolerance, is the title block tolerance automatically applied to the diameter, or is it required to repeat the hole diameter tolerance even if the tolerance is the same as listed in the title block? Is it considered redundant to repeat the title block tolerance for diameter on each hole using a geometric positional tolerance?

If someone could point me to a particular section in Y14.5-2009 where the specific requirements and hierarchy of title block tolerances vs geometric tolerances is described, that would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

See ASME Y14.5-2009, sub paragraphs 1.4 a, c and d.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    If the sheet tolerance applies to the diameter of the hole, I do not repeat the tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonamurawski View Post
    If the sheet tolerance applies to the diameter of the hole, I do not repeat the tolerance.
    Yes, in general there should not be any redundancy in tolerance or dimension specifications. Can cause confusion and even conflicting requirements.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.