Thread: Motor with brake and gearbox for high torque application

Associate Engineer

Motor with brake and gearbox for high torque application

I'd like to ask somebody on here to spec. a motor and drive for an application because I'm feeling lazy... but instead I'll ask this... Please provide some names of manufacturers of magnetically braked electric motors who might also provide engineering service for same, and gearbox that is integral... and preferably a right angle drive. Figure if we're spending the money on their stuff, most will assist in specifying the unit that will handle the load.

Or what manufacturer has been around a long time that is popular for that sort if thing?

What we have is a table about 12 foot long that has a fulcrum point at about 8 foot. The load that is placed on this table varies a lot far as weight and positioning of the load. Short parts loaded on table will have all of the load on the 8 foot side of fulcrum. Long parts could make the load even. So to error to the side of caution I'll say the entire load is 8 foot from fulcrum. The maximum load the table will see is about 2,000 lbs. ... and that's exaggerated. I'd like to rotate that see-saw table 90 degrees at a rate of about 1 to no more than 1-1/2 rpm. And if we lose power the brakes hold the load.

Our antique arrangement utilizes an air cylinder pushing and pulling about mid table, and again the pivot point is offset. Air is springy and when we have larger loads on the table when it passes the hard zone it takes off. I considered adding a hydraulic cylinder alongside of the current to use it's oil and flow controls for steady action, but our air cylinder is... let's say due for replacement... and developing an air over oil arrangement looks like it's start adding up pretty quick. Then figured if we're replacing anyway just go hydraulic and grab a pump and do it with one cylinder and gain some more power to boot.

Problem with either media, loss of supply can produce rapid undesirable motion... BOOOM...

So that's what has steered me to something more akin to a hoist motor. For this application I'm thinking it'd be money well spent. Safer... in our application it will put the working device or the drive in a place that'd be easier to maintain or work on, instead of down in a deep pit... and smooth controlled motion with nothing more than maybe a wee bit of gear lash.

Maybe a couple of tangs to hit switches to kill the "up / down" buttons or lever. Don't need speed and rather not adjustable so none can jack it up. 12 to 15 seconds to rotate 90 degrees is nice and gentle.

Any info appreciated...

Please provide some names of manufacturers of magnetically braked electric motors who might also provide engineering service for same, and gearbox that is integral

Thread locked down - no posting. Requests like this ALWAYS lead to a spam-a-thon, not here.