Thread: Mathcad Alternatives

Associate Engineer

Mathcad Alternatives

We have been using Mathcad for a while in trail mode to see if this is the right tool for us. While it does everything we needd, that comes at a price.
    Before we commit, I was wondering what others thought of any Mathcad alternatives that were cheaper than Mathcad.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

What is that price? We use excel and this website as we don't invent new complex math designs that often.

Mathcad prime is about $630 per year as a subscription. They store/keep your calculation sheets. There is a stripped down version called "worksheet library" which has limited capabilities and costs $470/year. All versions store/keep your sheets.

There is a premium membership service here on Engineers Edge that gets you access to well over 100,000 webpages, books, calculators, and similar engineering data.

Personally, I use excel for most unusual analysis I need
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Quote Originally Posted by jhogue74 View Post
    We have been using Mathcad for a while in trail mode to see if this is the right tool for us. While it does everything we needd, that comes at a price.
    Before we commit, I was wondering what others thought of any Mathcad alternatives that were cheaper than Mathcad.

Thanks in advance.

Jason
    What are you applications? Do you need to develop unique applications and standard and how often?

Associate Engineer
    We use Mathcad for
    - creating calculation sheets for others to use
    - structural and process calculations
    Don't need to develop unique apps, we just prefer it over excel as you can see the equations and how they relate. Great for proofing a calculation.

Here's my thing - I've got excel design sheets fifteen years old and I don't need a subscription to access. Yes, you don't get the pretty display in excel that you get from Mathcad, but variables can be "named" and the equation expanded for easy review using "Show Formulas" command.

Also, you can open your excel design spread sheets in Open Office which is free BTW.

Cost vs pretty + You control and own it vs not is what it comes down to for me.

I've been using the free version of Mathcad for about 4 years now and the only thing I miss from the paid for service is the Excel integration. That one feature isn't worth the cash when windows snipping tool is free. If you don't need to do anything complex, the free version should suffice. Or Excel. Depends on preference.