Thread: How do you determine the optimum feed rate, depth of cut,,,,

bestpartssupplier

How do you determine the optimum feed rate, depth of cut,,,,

How do you determine the optimum feed rate, depth of cut, rotation speed and tilt distance when machining different hardwoods on a CNC machine? I summed up a method.
    In my experience feeds and speeds are not very critical in wood. I just make a guess, usually starting from 200 mm a minute and adjust the feed rate override. As long as the spindle dosent bog down (reduced rpm, lower pitch) the cutter isn't burning up (smoke, black resedue) then its probably OK.
    The thing to watch out for it tear out when cutting across the grain. It's worth adjusting the program to cut from outside the workpiece towards the middle to prevent pieces flying off where you don't want them to.
    Because I am a newcomer engineer, so many don’t understand about it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bestpartssupplier View Post
    How do you determine the optimum feed rate, depth of cut, rotation speed and tilt distance when machining different hardwoods on a CNC machine? I summed up a method.
    In my experience feeds and speeds are not very critical in wood. I just make a guess, usually starting from 200 mm a minute and adjust the feed rate override. As long as the spindle dosent bog down (reduced rpm, lower pitch) the cutter isn't burning up (smoke, black resedue) then its probably OK.
    The thing to watch out for it tear out when cutting across the grain. It's worth adjusting the program to cut from outside the workpiece towards the middle to prevent pieces flying off where you don't want them to.
    Because I am a newcomer engineer, so many don’t understand about it.

The formula used to calculate the feed rate is:
    V f = feed rate (m/min)
    Z = number of teeth.
    fz = feed rate per tooth (mm/tooth)
    n = RPM.