Thread: Best Way to Dimension Circular Features

Best Way to Dimension Circular Features

How would you guys suggest locating these features using GD&T? I wanted to use the axis of the part as a datum B and locate the features from that datum and I was thinking there's got to be a way since it's the same pattern to dimension 3x. Suggestions?

CircularFeatureDimensioning.PNG

Thanks guys.

Insufficient information to provide guidance or a recommendation..

What are the mating features?

Which feature or features provide primary alignment or location?
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Principle Engineer
    An observation: The holes on the smallest bolt circle are near the weakest part and none of the holes are aligned for manufacturing.

There is no "best way" to dimension a part unless you know how it should mate and function with other parts, how it will be made, and how it will be checked. Example, I've had maintenance folks complain about decimal dimensions when all they have to use is fractional tape measures. I've had machinists complain about decimal dimensions when all the drills they have are labeled in fractions. I've seen parts that were "perfectly" dimensioned on paper not fit together because the designer didn't consider tolerance build-up and dimension mating parts in similar fashion. I could go on, but basically there is no answer to your question without knowing the bigger picture.