Thread: Bearing suggestion

ORS-USA

Bearing suggestion

We manufacturer a product that goes into the refrigerated section of a grocery store that merchandises meats and salads.

The temperature is between 28 and 35 degrees and I wanted to know if a standard metal ball bearing would work in this cold environment or would you suggest a plastic/ceramic bearing.

Bearings are specified by application, environment and loading. There are literally thousands of bearing manufacturers in the world.

Determine your application specifications and go to SKF, Timken or who-ever and research for the best match.

Both metallic (Stainless Steel) and ceramic bearings are likely available to fit your application

Hi and welcome to the forum. It sounds like it may be something that has to sterile? Does it have to be washed down?

I would recommend a plastic bearing. Igus makes these....they are very helpful. They love to give out samples

www.igus.com

If you could post a picture of the product...that would be cool.

Good Luck!!
    Last edited by Marky; 02-15-2012 at 10:48 AM.

Technical Fellow
    I suggest you look for "food grade" bearings as they will have to have been FDA approved if they come in contact with food. Then select from that shorter list for bearings with the design parameters stated for load, operating environment etc.