Thread: Tracking the time during welding equipment is being used

marcoheer43

Tracking the time during welding equipment is being used

Hello engineering community!

I am searching for a way to track the time during which welding equipment is used. I was thinking of something like a docking station that recognizes when equipment is being taken off or being put onto it, so this data can be further analysed in a MES or ERP system.

Are there docking stations like this or is there another widespread solution on the market for my problem? What would be keywords so I can conduct further research?

Thank you!

How big an operation? Single or multiple welding machines? What are you going to do with the data?

marcoheer43
    There are several welding machines. I want the data to be available in an Manufacturing Execution System. The data should provide an overview on how long worker have worked on a working station.

Quote Originally Posted by marcoheer43 View Post
    There are several welding machines. I want the data to be available in an Manufacturing Execution System. The data should provide an overview on how long worker have worked on a working station.
    All manufacturers of welding equipment offer software, systems, computers, etc. to track welding performance, etc..

Have you searched their websites?
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

marcoheer43
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post
    All manufacturers of welding equipment offer software, systems, computers, etc. to track welding performance, etc..

Have you searched their websites?
    No I did not think of that. This could be an approach. I will check their sites.

I also read something about hour meters that track the total time the machines have been used. But as far as I know this way I would only determine "how long" someone worked on that station. "When" is also of interest to me. With the values "how long" and "when" it should be possible to roughly derive the total working progress.

miesolutions2
    I think you need customizing an ERP system which provide you all data regarding it.

You should use ERP Tools.
    Commonly used tools implemented within ERP framework include Agiloft Workflow, WorkflowGen, Inceptico DMS, Intelex Business Management, SimpleECM, etc. · Reporting Tool / Dashboard: Management level, department level, team level or individual level report generation is another important requirement for an ERP system.

Quote Originally Posted by marcoheer43 View Post
    Hello engineering community!

I am searching for a way to track the time during which welding equipment is used. I was thinking of something like a docking station that recognizes when equipment is being taken off or being put onto it, so this data can be further analysed in a MES or ERP system.

Are there docking stations like this or is there another widespread solution on the market for my problem? What would be keywords so I can conduct further research?

Thank you!
    One of the greatest challenges when tracking equipment is the human factor. If you have a dedicated material/parts/equipment attendant and everything is checked in/out each shift (or on a frequency) 100% of the time it is doable. We all know the reality of this is near nil. Plus, how do you account for slack time where the welder is checked out but not in use?
    It can get you closer but will be far from perfect and threading it to MES or ERP can end up being misleading data.
    What is your actual goal with tracking?