Thread: Help - Identify This Painting Process

brumathew

Help - Identify This Painting Process

I am in the process of dissembling a blender to understand how this silver deadfront of the UI icons is executed on a production painting line. These letters are crisp, with no visible edges to the naked eye that would show there was a masked tape that was applied prior to painting. I have some thoughts around washable masking or UV masking, but, nothing that would seem to work well for a high volume production line. Any insights would be great!

The pictures posted show some of the teardown I have completed to help. The silver paint is on the exterior can be scraped off easily with an x-acto blade and the interior black can also be scraped off easily, including the darker black area where the icons/numbers are.

This is what I have determined is the process so far:

1. - Shell is molded in clear resin
    2. - A mask of the icons/numbers is placed on the inside?
    3. - Interior is painted black (coat #1)
    4. - Another mask is applied outside of the icons/numbers and then the inside is painted again black...thus, why this area seems so dark?
    5. - Exterior "ZWILLING" masking is applied?
    6. - Exterior is painted silver
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here are the some Painting Process.
    Step 1 – Oil Paints and Artist Brushes:

Utilizing the proper oil paints is vital in creating the perfect oil painting that will last for generations to come. Our artists start with only the highest quality oil paints that are finely balanced with the proper color pigment and oil content to ensure each finished masterpiece has the most vibrant colors, while providing lasting durability and beauty.

Step 2 – Artist Grade Cotton Canvas:
    The basis for creating museum quality oil paintings starts with the quality of the canvas. Our artists utilize only artist grade cotton canvas that is specially coated with an acid-free titanium gesso. This type of canvas is uniquely woven to ensure it will have the maximum fiber strength and durability when stretched during the framing process. Each canvas is cut to size per order, with the artist adding approximately 1.5 inches of blank canvas all around the finished painting to allow for canvas stretching.

Step 3 – Sketching the Composition of the Oil Painting:
    Here is where the artist starts defining the basic elements contained in the oil painting. The artist sketches an outline on the canvas, either utilizing a specially designed pencil or charcoal, to achieve the proper scale and spect ratio of the oil painting. It is very important at this time for the artist to pay close attention to the various shapes and figures that are evident in the composition of the oil painting.

Step 4 – Applying the Initial Coat of Paint:
    The artist is now concentrating on filling large areas of the oil painting with the first coat of paint, utilizing a wide artist brush. The paint is applied carefully so it follows the outline sketch on the canvas, with a focus on covering most of the basic elements comprised in the oil painting.

Step 5 – Painting the Shapes, Forms, and Objects:
    At this point in the painting process, the artist is focused on applying the brushstrokes to fill in the various shapes, forms, and objects that are integral parts of the oil painting. This step requires the artist to start paying close attention to mixing the paint colors to achieve the necessary color and hue intensities. The artist will now let the painting dry before continuing to the next step of the painting process.

Step 6 – Adding More Textures & Colors:
    Here is where the artist will call upon their many years of experience to add various artistic techniques to the oil painting. These techniques include adding texture and depth to the canvas by applying small or large amounts of paints to the brush, resulting in varying levels of thickness to the oil paints.

Step 7 - Paint the Fine Details & Refine the Color Palette:
    All the fine artistic details in the oil painting are addressed at this time, including shading, highlights, color intensities, and shadows. These elements are very important aspects of the oil painting that add to the beauty and overall museum quality characteristics of our masterpieces. This is the most time consuming step in the painting process. Now is the time for the artist to carefully check the oil painting to be certain that all the finishing details are incorporated in the overall composition of the masterpiece. Any fine details will be added at this time before the stamp of approval is given by our master artist.

That's probably a UV Spraying Coating.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

If you are looking at doing high volumes look at specialty paints/primers to to electro-stat paint.