Thread: Fire fighting pumping Unit

Associate Engineer

Fire fighting pumping Unit

I have a query of supplying pumps namely electricity operating pump 500 GPM, 7 bar, diesel engine driven backup pump 500 GPM, 7 bar and a jockey pump 50 GPM, 8 bar to be used for making fire fighting pumping unit (FFPU). Please guide/tell how to design the unit (FFPU) from these?

Android
    there is no chance of you giving us too much information here

what kind of electricity......where are you going to get it from, make it youself ?

fixed or mobile FFPU

water supplied or carried ?

Pull or push pumps ?

Hi Mundus, and welcome to the forum.

I'd start by looking at websites of people who are already making these things. Here are a few...

http://www.darley.com/pumps/pump-guide.html

http://www.fire-pump.com/

http://www.rosenbaueramerica.com/med...epumps_eng.pdf

Associate Engineer
    City Electricity!
    Fixed!
    Supplied!
    Centrifugal pumps!

Associate Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by mundus View Post
    City Electricity!
    Fixed!
    Supplied!
    Centrifugal pumps!

I need to build fixed skid mounted FFPU consisting of three pumps (already mentioned) with water supplied from city source and stored in fire tank. All the pumps (centrifugal) should have common suction and discharge pipe.

I need:
    a relationship of calculating diesel engine (rating) from known pump type and size
    relationship(s) for selection of valves (types, ratings, characteristics (linear, equal percentage etc.) etc.)
    relationship(s) of calculating piping (size, lengths etc.)
    relationship(s) of calculating losses in piping and pump set and way to incorporate them into the final selection
    relationship(s) of calculating sensor(s) and controllers (actuating time, operating voltage(s) etc.) from above data
    relationship/circuit diagram of designing control unit (consisting of sensors, controllers etc.)

Apparently this is school work. Some might be inclined to offer you a little guidance, but I doubt any are going to write you up a book on how these things relate to each other. What you are asking for is pretty much everything that you are supposed to be learning in your class handed to you neatly wrapped with a bow.

If this is an actual task laid on you by your employer or whatever... Then go to suppliers of these types of units and tell them what you need and gather up quotes. You will need to buy all of the ingredients anyway right? So might as well go to the professionals and get exactly what you need...?

Technical Fellow
    Bob, you are being too tough on this person. It's OK mundus, I am working on it for you.

I must mention that the last time I did this kind of work, it took three months of research, writing, editing, sub-editing and publishing, so please check back around the end of June and I will have it all neatly packaged for you. You will almost certainly get an A++ for the report.

Happy to help.