Thread: Engineered dreams -- anyone else?

Technical Fellow

Engineered dreams -- anyone else?

Had a slightly weird dream last night.

I found myself riding on top of a very small elevator about 3' square. I knew I was not supposed to be up there but wanted to get to the top level for some reason, so there I was.

As I approached the top, I could see some re-bar steel mesh closing off the opening. As I got closer I could see that it was a gate that would swing up and let the elevator partially pass through and stop at the landing level. I guess I heaved a little sigh of relief at that rather than getting passed though a 4" x4" sieve.

As I got almost to the mesh, I could see an interlock that would detect the rising elevator so decided to push that thinking it would open the gate and I could jump free. Unfortunately, unbeknown to me, there was a second interlock that also detected the elevator, plus, a pressure switch on the gate.

Because the first interlock was tripped by hand, the second never got tripped so my, by now, hunched up body pressing against the re-bar gate triggered the gate-switch. The elevator stopped instantly and an alarm went off. Cops came and let me out then I woke up.

Should I be troubled by my obsession with things Engineering? LOL

That's a very complex elevator dream! I wonder how and if a shrink would understand and interpret you...

Oh ya, years ago there was a video game series called "Myst" and "Riven" that involved solving mechanical puzzles and such to complete.

You might like the game...

Associate Engineer
    Thats a very interesting dream! you must really have the passion for engineering that is why you dream about it a lot, its actually not a bad thing and i don't think this is actually obsession. maybe you can use your dreams to make great new ideas for engineering as well, although dreams may sometimes be beyond real, maybe you can use them as inspiration to be able to engineer something on your own as well. Some people really have this special skill/inclination on puzzles and complexities, maybe your one of the few gifted ones.