Thread: Precise rotation of a turntable

Precise rotation of a turntable

Hello, I have to design a turntable, that holds 3 PCBs, and stops at 120 degrees, for a piston to test the PCBs.

My problem is, I am using a stepper motor and a photosensor to control the rotation of the turntable in 120 degrees increments, but the inertie makes it unaccurate, and I cannot think of a way to turn the table precisely 120 degrees at a time ( especially at high speeds) . Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot!

Principle Engineer
    Why do they have to be on a turn table? Or why can't they be moved in a straight line? How accurate do they have to be for measurement?

Retractable mechanical stop at 120 deg. increments? Have you considered a programable stepper motor control electronics like Rambo board?

Back in the day engineers used mechanical indexers to drive dial indexing tables for all kinds of automated assembly processes. I used Camco indexers on several successful projects. Like these:
    https://www.destaco.com/products/mec...ttribute-stops

No it cannot

Quote Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
    Why do they have to be on a turn table? Or why can't they be moved in a straight line? How accurate do they have to be for measurement?
    First of all, thank you Hudson for your reply.

The project is specific for a turntable, I cannot change the scope, even if it's not the best way.

The piston(it's up to me to use an pneumatic piston, or something else that moves in a straight line) has to have pogo pins that touch some pads, testing PCBs. it has to be very exact, within the 1mm.

After the table has turned 120 degrees, a sensor stops the stepper motor, and a claw that I made drops into her slot on the turntable, and keeps it fixed, fixing any small error of rotation, and then the PCB is tested, that is how I approached this and it worked.

Thank you all for the replies, I really appreciate it Cragyon, Jboggs and Hudson.

Have a great day fellows,
    Alex.

Principle Engineer
    The indexer jboggs mentions is a good idea. Also investigate shot pins to position. The name Ferguson drive comes to mind as well.