Thread: Code standard for hole callout note formats

Associate Engineer

Code standard for hole callout note formats

Hello,

Is there an ASME or other standard for hall callout note formats for tapped holes, c'bore holes, c'sink holes, etc. For example, I attached a screenshot of a note callout for a c'bore hole,

Is there a standard that calls out the sequence of how this is shown? Also, whether you should use "3 PL." or use "3X" at the beginning. My company uses many different formats mainly based on the drafter's preference. To be honest, this has never caused an issue with our internal machine shop or outside shops. But, we are looking at trying to get everyone to use the same format for hole callouts, so if there is a standard it would help convince everyone which one is best.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

ASME Y14.5-2009 and 2018.

Technically 3X is more correct than 3 PL.

Associate Engineer
    I do have Y14.5-2009. I wasn't sure that was the authority on the actual format of the notes. They never really speak to the format, but only give examples of a few drawing notes. I see "3X" used instead of "3 PL." throughout Y14.5-2009, but they never specifically say to use that notation.

ASME Y14.5-2009 says to use ASME Y14.6 for screw threads. I found a copy of the 2001 version, but it never addresses the order of symbols especially for the depth symbol. If I follow ASME Y14.5, I guess the thread depth symbol for a blind tap should be placed in front of the depth value and not after it.

I'm going to type text in the order I verify..

ASME Y14.5-2009, read the following:

Most of section 1.7... specifically:

Section 1.8..

1.8.1 (Notes)

most all of the examples in this section..

If fact the entire document illustrates correct drafting practices and the references are listed.

Section 1.9, specifically 1.9.6 on Use of X to indicate "by"

Section 2 - provide guidance in the usage of imperial and SI units.

Quite honestly most GD&T, drafting trainers and consultants as well as industry practitioners seem to have forgotten to have read and fully understand these chapters.

It is my view that precise application of dimensioning & tolerancing should be a goal however I am aware that it’s OK to be really close. Your example is a little nit picky.. (sorry).

What I have witnessed most often is engineering drawings and designs that ignore functional tolerances, manufacturability and costings approach.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.