Thread: Shaft boss best connection

Shaft boss best connection

Hi all
    I need to design an engine conveyor like that in the attached pictures.
    I just have some pictures taken from my colleagues.
    My problem for the moment is understand which would be the best connection to the shaft of the end hardened boss/sleeve. I know it need to be keyed for the transmission of the movement, but how to prevent the boss sliding out of the shaft? The only way I guessed is to use a grub screw. Is there any better, more adequate system?
    Thank you.

2020-11-08 17_52_41-Photos.png 2020-11-08 17_21_06-Photos.png 20201107_082632 (1).jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

One of the many lessons from my decades of engineering is this: Use set screws with caution. They are very often misused and end up damaging other components and failing.

Look at your first photo. See the bearing locknut with a lockwasher at the top? That is a very common method of retaining components on a shaft. Maybe you can duplicate that. Another way is to use a taper-lock hub or bushing. Or you could just use a bolt in the end of the shaft with a cap plate. If you do that make sure you provide some method to insure that the bolt does not back out.

Principle Engineer
    I'm voting for taper lock split bushings and matching hub. You may not need the key depending upon the torque applied. They hold really well.