Thread: Specifying perpendcularity for odd pipes

Specifying perpendcularity for odd pipes

I have run into a challence with specification of perpendicularity - Google couldn't help

The setup:
    A straight pipe with a non-circular cross-section is attatched to a cone. The center of the pipe must be perpendicular (within a tolerance) to the surface of the cone in one direction (like the grey pipe) - not tilted like the dark pipe in the pucture.

As far as I can see, it boils down to that the center-line of the pipe must meet the center-line of the cone within a certain distance.

How do I specify this using GD&T?

HandlePerpendicularity.jpg
    Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards, Carsten

Is this training or actual end item engineering design work?

You need a positional tolerance relative to datums defining the axis that need to intersect as well as and end of the cone feature.

Similar application (except internal features) See ASME Y14.5M-1994:

Paragraph 5.6, Figure 5-36

and if the "attached to the cone" feature is actually non-circular, see ASME Y14.5M-1994:

Paragraph 5.9.1 and Figure 5-41 Bi-Directional Positional Tolerancing.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Thank you very much for your help and for pointing me in the right direction.

This is for production of an utensil. The small pipe is the handle. The dark pipe is just for illustration here. It turns out that quality is percieved as low if the axis of the handle is too far from the center-axis of the utensil. Therefore we need to specify production-tolerances.

I will take a close look at the standards you mentioned.

Best regards, Carsten