Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: I need to find a Motor for a project

  1. #1
    Associate Engineer
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    3

    Question I need to find a Motor for a project

    I have a NEMA 34 stepper Motor with controller for a machine I am building. The stepper motor does everything I need it to do except for meet holding torque that I need. I need around 10 in lb at 24in high my current motor will only pull at 3 to 5 lb. the motor needs to be bidirectional, variable speed and able to adjust distance of travel 12 to 15" on either side of center. Lastly, weight is a factor I need the lightest weight possible, prefer it to be under 10 lbs.

  2. #2
    Administrator Kelly Bramble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bold Springs, GA
    Posts
    2,433
    ? Search internet for "High Torque NEMA 34" - no shortage of options.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

  3. #3
    Associate Engineer
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    3

    Sorry for the mix up I have been searching

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post
    ? Search internet for "High Torque NEMA 34" - no shortage of options.
    I have spent much time searching for an acceptable motor to replace my NEMA 34, I found a NEMA 42 that would work but it weighs 25lbs which is to heavy for my application. I'm don't have an engineering background so I was looking for advice as to an acceptable motor to replace the one I have. I haven't found a NEMA 34 that can handle the torque I need and the others Ive found are to large for my purpose. I wondered if I was missing a motor that I haven't found or an alternative to the stepper motor to keep the size and weight down while meeting my needs. Again I need a bidirectional motor for rocking motion with low RPM that's programable and has holding torque of 8 to 10lbs at 24 inches in height.

  4. #4
    Associate Engineer
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    3
    further I need it to be cost effective, ideally under $125

  5. #5
    NOTE:

    Vendors are not allowed to post recommendations here.

    Use the internet and contact potential suppliers directly.

  6. #6
    Principle Engineer Cragyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newark, NJ
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by conradoehlert View Post
    I have a NEMA 34 stepper Motor with controller for a machine I am building. The stepper motor does everything I need it to do except for meet holding torque that I need. I need around 10 in lb at 24in high my current motor will only pull at 3 to 5 lb. the motor needs to be bidirectional, variable speed and able to adjust distance of travel 12 to 15" on either side of center. Lastly, weight is a factor I need the lightest weight possible, prefer it to be under 10 lbs.
    Typical NEMA 34 frame stepper motors are rated at more than 30 lb-in and some as high as 1300 lb-in and all weight about the same. Not seeing your challenge in locating one.


    If weight is the issue design in a gear train reducing speed and allowing for higher torque.

    Nema 24 or 23 stepper motors which are lighter can produce up to 300+ lb-in of torque.

    Search the internet - they're everywhere.

  7. #7
    If you are locked in to using the current motor you need to look at gear reduction or reducing the load/making it easier to move.

  8. #8
    Associate Engineer
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by dvcochran View Post
    If you are locked in to using the current motor you need to look at gear reduction or reducing the load/making it easier to move.
    I completely agree . A small planetary gearbox would allow for the Torque mult ( you would select what ratio to go with & at same time determine what speed is needed to do the job.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •