Thread: I need to find a Motor for a project

Question I need to find a Motor for a project

I have a NEMA 34 stepper Motor with controller for a machine I am building. The stepper motor does everything I need it to do except for meet holding torque that I need. I need around 10 in lb at 24in high my current motor will only pull at 3 to 5 lb. the motor needs to be bidirectional, variable speed and able to adjust distance of travel 12 to 15" on either side of center. Lastly, weight is a factor I need the lightest weight possible, prefer it to be under 10 lbs.

? Search internet for "High Torque NEMA 34" - no shortage of options.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Sorry for the mix up I have been searching

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post
    ? Search internet for "High Torque NEMA 34" - no shortage of options.
    I have spent much time searching for an acceptable motor to replace my NEMA 34, I found a NEMA 42 that would work but it weighs 25lbs which is to heavy for my application. I'm don't have an engineering background so I was looking for advice as to an acceptable motor to replace the one I have. I haven't found a NEMA 34 that can handle the torque I need and the others Ive found are to large for my purpose. I wondered if I was missing a motor that I haven't found or an alternative to the stepper motor to keep the size and weight down while meeting my needs. Again I need a bidirectional motor for rocking motion with low RPM that's programable and has holding torque of 8 to 10lbs at 24 inches in height.

further I need it to be cost effective, ideally under $125

NOTE:

Vendors are not allowed to post recommendations here.

Use the internet and contact potential suppliers directly.

Quote Originally Posted by conradoehlert View Post
    I have a NEMA 34 stepper Motor with controller for a machine I am building. The stepper motor does everything I need it to do except for meet holding torque that I need. I need around 10 in lb at 24in high my current motor will only pull at 3 to 5 lb. the motor needs to be bidirectional, variable speed and able to adjust distance of travel 12 to 15" on either side of center. Lastly, weight is a factor I need the lightest weight possible, prefer it to be under 10 lbs.
    Typical NEMA 34 frame stepper motors are rated at more than 30 lb-in and some as high as 1300 lb-in and all weight about the same. Not seeing your challenge in locating one.

If weight is the issue design in a gear train reducing speed and allowing for higher torque.

Nema 24 or 23 stepper motors which are lighter can produce up to 300+ lb-in of torque.

Search the internet - they're everywhere.

If you are locked in to using the current motor you need to look at gear reduction or reducing the load/making it easier to move.

Quote Originally Posted by dvcochran View Post
    If you are locked in to using the current motor you need to look at gear reduction or reducing the load/making it easier to move.
    I completely agree . A small planetary gearbox would allow for the Torque mult ( you would select what ratio to go with & at same time determine what speed is needed to do the job.