Thread: Need help designing hydraulic system

Need help designing hydraulic system

For starters i am a complete noob when it comes to hydraulics so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am mason contractor based out of NY with an itch to design and build my own equipment.

I am looking to fabricate some mast climbing scaffolding for our operations meshing some known technology that has already been on the market with a new design for the rest of the scaffolding units.

Series-3-jobsite4-photo-3-1.jpg
    Bennu-Scaffolding-Platform-Series-3-jobsite-lasalle-photo2 (1).jpg

These particular scaffold units raise up the vertical masts by means of a cogged wheel that engages the mast, which is turned by a hydraulic motor of some sort and is powered by a small Honda gas engine. The scaffold "Power Units" are twin mast and each PU has 1 Honda motor, & 2 cogged wheels. 1 Wheel per mast and are perfectly synchronized. These PU are then bridged together to adapt to the buildings dimensions.
    Scaffolding-Platform-Series-3.jpg

I need some help with designing a hydraulic system that can run off this small hp Honda engine. That can run 2 hydraulic motors perfectly synchronized and be a push button operation. The motors would have to turn very slowly and have plenty of torque. Ive been researching LSHT Char Lynn T brake motors for this but im open to suggestions. I will post up plenty more pictures of the power supply and hydro system from this Bennu model.

This particular design has seen alot of bad press over its lifetime due to collapses mainly from the flimsy mast sections. However the lifting mechanism is superior to the competitors. My goal is to apply this lifting mechanism to a more robust platform. That being said im having a hard time getting to the actual mechanics of this Bennu PU systems components. I dont want to copy cat. Im also not looking to market what i build. This will be for my own use. Cost is a big factor in this endeavor and i would like to find a low cost solution to this. Thanks very much for any advice. If i get some interest here i will post loads more info.

Hydraulic systems are used in all kinds of large and small industrial settings, as well as buildings, construction equipment, and vehicles. Paper mills, logging, manufacturing, robotics, and steel processing are leading users of hydraulic equipment.

DESIGNING OF HYDRAULIC SYSTEM following are the principles on which any hydraulic system is working: 1. liquid have no shape of their own and flow to acquire the shape of their container. 2. Liquids can be considered incompressible at pressures used in hydraulic systems. 3. Liquids transmit pressure equally in all directions. 4. The flow rate of oil from a non-positive pump depends on the speed of the pump and on the system pressure. 5. The flow rate of oil from a positive displacement pump varies proportionally with pump speed but is virtually independent of system pressure. 6. Any flow of liquid through a pipe or orifice is accompanied b reduction in liquid pressure.

Hi jeremykieffer
    I read your post. In my opinion, you should use a composition of electronic and hydraulic solutions. let me explain what is in my mind and this is based on my experiences. you can use a mechanical method to synchronize the motors. It would be possible but it will cost you an arm and a leg. on the other hand, you can use an Arduino board and put a photocell on each motor and connect them via Wi-Fi.
    the Arduino board will count the shaft turning and stop the spinning after all three rotations, get confirmation from another Arduino board, and then run again. programing of these commands are pretty simple and it is the most reliable way to do, without any fault.
    The Arduino board will cost you just $2 or $4 and you can control the motors remotely as well.
    Regarding the mechanical aspects for design the system if you have any questions let me know, but I guess it would be easy for you. Don't hesitate to ask any questions if you have any.
    Good luck
    Gholam
    Enable GingerCannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection
    or reload the browserDisable in this text fieldRephraseRephrase current sentenceEdit in Ginger×

Seems like adapting drives from a track loader or dozer would do the job.