Thread: GD&T Linear Distance from Edge to Edge

Associate Engineer

GD&T Linear Distance from Edge to Edge

Hi,

I have a part that I am unsure how to dimension properly. I have a linear measurement from two nominally parallel lines. However one of the lines has a perpindicularity callout. I want the measurement to be from the edge to a plane going through the highest point on the other edge. Other than just describing it via text, is there a GD&T callout I could use to indicate his?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Associate Engineer
    Would it help if the edge (surface) with the perpendicularity tolerance was then also defined as datum B? You could then assign a profile tolerance of 0.5 mm to the other edge referencing B as the datum and make the 4.5 mm dimension a basic dimension. The 0.5 mm profile tolerance is understood to be centered about the 4.5 mm nominal dimension ( equivalent to +/- 0.25 mm). The profile tolerance applies to the whole length of the edge and it would need to be checked at various places along that edge (at least 3) and so the highest and lowest points measured would be the worst case. Did I understand the question correctly?