If you’re wondering what is going on with Engineers Edge today and Saturday last -

We have been being attacked by a botnet and have been fighting this thing. My hosting company's network got overrun which caused a three hour down time Saturday for a bunch of servers.

I have been running automated scripts to capture and isolate over a thousand zombie computers hitting this website. Everyone, please update your antivirus software, firewall or whatever and don’t become a zombie!

And, no there are no viruses on Engineers Edge...

In the process of trying to block this botnet an enthusiastic tech support guy thought he would optimize my server and reconfigured 40 or so server settings. Anyway, he effectiviely shutdown several services and slowed a bunch more.

I just chewed him out and we reset almost everything back to the original configuration.

I got the botnet under control, however there are still a couple of minor items still broke.

Lesson learned for tech support – make one change at a time and test everything! Never change forty items as you will never know which change broke the machine!

Over and out!