Thread: Understanding moment and dynamic loading calculations

Associate Engineer

Understanding moment and dynamic loading calculations

Hello.

I am building a custom motorcyle hitch carrier for myself for the back of an RV and I am trying to determine the weight bearing capacity of the square tubing to find out if I have enough support to handle the load dynamically.

I know there are a multitude of online calculators out there, but I am not positive the calculations are correct.

Basic information

Moment is 26" from hitch receiver
    Square tube is 2" x 2" x .25" thick walls
    Hitch receiver is a class 4 with a tongue rating of 1000 lbs
    Platform is a converted I-Beam that will be holding a motorcycle - total weight is approximately 900 lbs

Additional circular tubing has been welded to the I-Beam and is inserted into the C-Channel of the vehicle frame (not currently bolted, but supported by the c-channel).

I am interested in finding out the proper formula to fully understand the load limits of this contraption.

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

First, to do the statics calculations one will need a free body diagram. This should be provided by you...

Associate Engineer
    Thanks Cragyon for your reply. I am working on creating a free body diagram. If you have any tips (or links) for creating one, let me know. I believe I have worked out most of it, but any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Hi adamatavd
    In my opinion it would be better if you draw it in SolidWorks or AutoCAD invertor and then simulate it. In this case you can find out FEA and all other necessary data about your project faster than handy calculation. Enable GingerCannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection
    or reload the browserDisable in this text fieldRephraseRephrase current sentenceEdit in Ginger×