Thread: Arrow location on Profile

Associate Engineer

Arrow location on Profile

Does it matter which side of the profile line the arrow is on when considering Unequally Disposed Profile? Where is this documented in Y14.100? In other words, if I put my arrow on the top side then the Unequally Disposed Profile would be above the nominal or adding material. If I point my arrow from below the line, does that mean the Unequally Disposed Profile would be the nominal or subtracting material?
    Thanks for any help.

No, it does not matter. Depending on the standard you are utilizing either the circle U and the 0.0 to # offset tolerance to indicate inside or outside (See ASME Y14.5-2018) or an offset phantom line may be utilized to clearly indicate the unilateral tolerance - see ISO 1101 any year or ASME Y14.5-2009.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    It is my understanding that the if a call out is profile .020 U .015 this would mean the profile should be +.015 of material to -.005 of material from the nominal, whether a pocket or boss. It would then be my understanding that on a pocket with the nominal being 1.000 x 3.000, it could measure from .970 x 2.970 to 1.010 x 3.010 likewise a boss it would measure 1.030 x 3.030 or .990 x 2.990.

Am I understanding this correctly, or did I miss something in the standard where it explains this better.