Thread: How do I realize the interfaces between the components of a schematic block diagram?

Associate Engineer

Bang Head How do I realize the interfaces between the components of a schematic block diagram?

Hello!

I'm currently learning about Systems Engineering, I understand how to create a functional architecture but i'm struggling to turn it into a physical architecture because I don't understand how interfaces of components will eventually work.

From the diagram below, the interface between the "Intert Gas Pressurization Subsystem" and the "Oxidizer Storage Subsystem" is labelled as "Inert Gas Pressurant". This tells us that there will be "Inert Gas Pressurant" going from one to the other but does not tell us how that transfer will be achieved, how can we find out how the interface will be achieved?

0qozd.png

References: Page 62
    DAU-Systems-Engineering-Fundamentals.pdf
    Last edited by rbamfordz; 10-31-2021 at 07:31 AM.

Block diagrams are usually created define a system by visually describing, using blocks and arrows, how each individual part or sub-system interacts with the system as a whole. Block diagrams are efficient at providing a concise overview or "big picture" of a complicated system.

Usually these diagrams are created by the engineering team that has developed the details of the system or are experienced in similar engineered systems as well. As far as how each interface is achieved block diagrams rarely provide that information nor is it always obvious what the actually system design uses.

To answer your question the words "Subsystem" implies many parts of an assembly-system (subsystem) that achieves the function "Inert Gas Pressurant" - which is unknown. Probably valves, piping, electronics and an interface with safety mechanisms.

It is not uncommon for block diagrams to be accompanied by descriptions of each of the functions.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    ah ok i think i understand what you're talking about, so what model would i need to understand the interfaces?

You would need detail information on the end item/assembly and associated specifications. Depending on the scope of the end item or assembly there could be many organizations or technology verticals involved.

Requirement specifications associated with the top assembly end item would be a place to start - assuming you have access. From there one would need more information on what the specified interfaces look like sometime an interface Control Drawing or specifications is used..

Clearly, there is a lot of engineering information missing and each vertical organization developing the end item technology would need be involved in your inquiry. Moreover, different vertical ********** do operate differently and having that information would be required.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.