Thread: ceramic for brake caliper pistons

Associate Engineer

ceramic for brake caliper pistons

what ceramic material, preferably machinable, is available for heavy duty/abs pistons?

I doubt it would be practical to a ceramic material for the brake disks, calipers etc.. however the brake friction liners are sometimes made of ceramics.

"A process for manufacturing a brake lining made of a fiber-reinforced ceramic C/SiC material includes (1) producing a carbon fiber body having at least one of a defined volume of pores and capillaries; (2) infiltrating the carbon fiber body with at least one of carbon or a carbon precursor; (3) pressing the infiltrated carbon fiber body, thereby forming a green compact; (4) pyrolyzing the green compact, thereby forming a porous C/C body; (5) adjusting at least one of a pore and a capillary volume of the porous C/C body to maximally approximately 60% by volume; and (6) infiltrating the C/C body with liquid silicon so that carbon, at least in an area of pores and capillaries which is close to the surface, becomes silicon carbide."

US6248269.pdf
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    i was talking about pistons. ceramic pistons do exist. i just wonder what they are being made of and if the ceramic material is accessible for purchase.

btw, i sent you a p.m. asking if there was a search function on this forum. i dont see it.

There are ceramic coatings applied on pistons but not ceramic pistons.

The ceramic coating is quite thin and there is a wide variety of engineered ceramic coatings.

The search function is on the forum home page...
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.