Thread: Online Commision Sites?

Associate Engineer

Confused Online Commision Sites?

I was just at a conference where a speaker mentioned online sites that companies submit engineering problems to. Engineers are then allowed to submit solutions and, if yours is selected, you get paid for it (based on a rate announced by the requesting company).

Anyone know about these? I've googled them and don't seem to have the correct key words.

Thanks

Well, I watch the internet closely for these sorts of services; however I'm not aware of any services you mentioned.

The first thing that comes to my mind is how does the solution submitting engineer verify that their solution isn't just picked without compensation? Now there was an organization that that would advertise jobs or tasks and technical types would bid a completion cost. Usually these jobs where for programming or other internet tasks.

On another note, I would hate to be the one sorting though all of the submissions.

Quote Originally Posted by climbhigh09 View Post
    I was just at a conference where a speaker mentioned online sites that companies submit engineering problems to. Engineers are then allowed to submit solutions and, if yours is selected, you get paid for it (based on a rate announced by the requesting company).

Anyone know about these? I've googled them and don't seem to have the correct key words.

Thanks

There are sites where you bid on a job. They range from simple drafting jobs to major design projects.

For instance...if I needed a "Widget" designed and drawn. I would post a pic or model with a description and budget cost of what I needed. People would bid on it.

Not sure how successful it is.

Engineer
    I do contract drafting on the side, and the "freelancing" sites are very tough to break into. From feedback I am recieving, most of these "customers" are looking for the best possible price. They go with the lowest cost solution. I was told by three people after my bid had been rejected that my hourly rate was too high. I bid at $15 an hour for drafting work. Good luck!

Associate Engineer
    Eww... 15$/hr is low for drafting. I'm obviously looking to generate some extra cash and work with a pretty ingenious group of ME's that are capable of solving complicated problems.

The guy at the conference was talking big $$, like 50k for projects that took a year to complete.

Engineer
    I know $15 is low, but I saw people from countries like India, China, and South Africa. I figured I had better low ball it just to see what I could get.....No such luck. As far as what you are talking about, I would side with Kelly. Lot of work involved to not get picked with no upfront compensation.....

Associate Engineer
    Try innocentive - Thought I tried to post this before, any reason why it would be removed? Anyway, I think it's closer to what you're looking for.
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 01-05-2012 at 07:27 AM.

Amstel
    Very interesting site! This almost exactly what I was looking for.

Do you think there is something similar but with CAD drawings especially, since this is my specialty and I am looking for some extra work. Thanks.