Thread: Defining clean

Associate Engineer

Defining clean

I've been tasked with trying to standardize our cleaning process in our shop and I'm running into a bit of an issue when it comes down to standardizing what qualifies as "clean". Our customers do not specify a requirement outside of their generic verbiage but we work in aerospace so we always try to make sure our parts are as clean as possible.

Currently we just have a set of photos that we use as a standard but since its up to interpretation depending on who looks at it and on what day, we get mixed results which is causing us issues later on in the process. We do also use a wipe and visual method where we use a cotton swab and run it across the part to see if anything comes off the part.

I know using a water break test is a common method but due to the size and geometry of our parts its not always possible. In a perfect world I would like to have something I could quantify so there isn't as much interpretation for our quality department but I'm not sure what would be the best method for this or if its realistic without spending an insane amount of money.

I was just wondering what other shops have done and had success with?

Thank you,
    Andy

I would investigate and maybe incorporate industry standards that may exist for your shop - environment. There are ISO (ISO 7 and ISO 8) as well as FED 209 that may applicable.

No need to reinvent something that has already been defined
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.