Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Feature of size

  1. #1
    Associate Engineer
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    8

    Feature of size

    ipt>
    Folks I'm diving into the GD&T magical world and now I'm learning about feature of size although something is getting me confused. When I talk about feature of size the first thing comes in my mind is that a feature of size is a feature... Taking this simple part below, it's easy to me recognize the hole as a feature and a feature of size because it has a cilindrical surface (so it's a feature) and a directly dimension associated (so it's a feture of size). Up to now everything is fine. But when it comes to the thickness of the plate my mind blows up!! I can recognize the two parallel oposed surface and the directly dimension associated with this althouh I can not see the feature itself... Reading a bunch of articles and watching another bunch of videos when people identify something as a feature of size they point to a dimension not a feature...

    So my question is: "Is feature of size a dimension or a physical portion of a piece?"

    Taking the hole as example: What R E A L L Y is the feature of size: the hole itself (the physical thing which is made by drilling process) or the Ø8 mm dimension?


    Last edited by ivanginato; 04-17-2022 at 09:05 PM.

  2. #2
    Technical Fellow Kelly_Bramble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bold Springs, GA
    Posts
    2,570
    In general a FOS is a feature that has surface elements that are directly opposite of one another and is specified with dimensions and is toleranced. Such as a cylindrical surface (hole or shaft), spherical surface, a circular element, or a set of two parallel line elements or opposed parallel surfaces (thickness) associated with a single directly toleranced dimension.

    A feature is any surface element, plane, half circular surface like a radius, etc...

    Note that there are actually two types of Feature of Size (FOS) called "Regular Feature of Size" and "Irregular Feature of Size".
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

  3. #3
    Associate Engineer
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Bramble View Post
    In general a FOS is a feature that has surface elements that are directly opposite of one another and is specified with dimensions and is toleranced. Such as a cylindrical surface (hole or shaft), spherical surface, a circular element, or a set of two parallel line elements or opposed parallel surfaces (thickness) associated with a single directly toleranced dimension.

    A feature is any surface element, plane, half circular surface like a radius, etc...

    Note that there are actually two types of Feature of Size (FOS) called "Regular Feature of Size" and "Irregular Feature of Size".
    Alright! That’s what reading from multiples sources although when comes time to point where are the feature of size they point to a dimension not to a feature… Specifically talking about the FOS associated with thickness of the plate which is the FOS? The bottom surface, the top surface, both are considered feature of size, or both forms one feature of size?

  4. #4
    Technical Fellow Kelly_Bramble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bold Springs, GA
    Posts
    2,570
    Quote Originally Posted by ivanginato View Post
    Alright! That’s what reading from multiples sources although when comes time to point where are the feature of size they point to a dimension not to a feature… Specifically talking about the FOS associated with thickness of the plate which is the FOS? The bottom surface, the top surface, both are considered feature of size, or both forms one feature of size?
    For a plate, the top surface would be a feature and the bottom surface would be a feature as well. These two separately are plane features. The thickness will and should have a dimension and tolerance specified somewhere thus referencing the thickness and that associated dimension and tolerance it is a FOS.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

  5. #5
    Associate Engineer
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    8
    Ohhh yeah!! Now I feel like bender’s meme from futurama: “Now I see it, now I got it, now I all the piece are fall into place” 😂😂

    Thank you, Kelly!

  6. #6
    Technical Fellow Kelly_Bramble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bold Springs, GA
    Posts
    2,570
    Quote Originally Posted by ivanginato View Post
    Ohhh yeah!! Now I feel like bender’s meme from futurama: “Now I see it, now I got it, now I all the piece are fall into place”

    Thank you, Kelly!
    Just a side note, the top and bottom surfaces as referenced above are known as "Features without size".
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2023
    Posts
    1
    What is the best way to Datum a Trapezoidal shape? Should I just choose one of the angled sides to be the tertiary datum? What if I have features (such as holes) on both of the angled sides - is proper convention to create a fourth datum on the other side, so that the first datum in the feature control frame is the plane on which the hole is positioned? I have attached an example of my best guess at the correct approach to this. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Screenshot 2023-01-04 140223.png

  8. #8
    Technical Fellow Kelly_Bramble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bold Springs, GA
    Posts
    2,570
    Quote Originally Posted by ben_knechel View Post
    What is the best way to Datum a Trapezoidal shape? Should I just choose one of the angled sides to be the tertiary datum? What if I have features (such as holes) on both of the angled sides - is proper convention to create a fourth datum on the other side, so that the first datum in the feature control frame is the plane on which the hole is positioned? I have attached an example of my best guess at the correct approach to this. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Screenshot 2023-01-04 140223.png
    Without knowing the exact application / mating surfaces I believe the scheme shown is logical.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •