Thread: ASTM Yield and Ulitimate Clarification

ASTM Yield and Ulitimate Clarification

Can anyone tell me if there is an ASTM rule... with a name and number... that specifies a maximum for Yield and Ultimate Tensile strength on material? Specifically... 1026 Grade ASTM A513 Type 5 (DOM) tubing. Maybe this rule I'm looking for doesn't exist or maybe it's in a section for "general rules" or something?

The spec calls out a 65,000 min yield and a 75,000 min ultimate for 1026 grade that is mandrel drawn stress - relieved tubing. Within the spec for ASTM A513 the section called S5 (**********ary Requirements for hardness and tensile) says... "When "Tensile Properties Required" is specified on the purchase order, round tubing shall conform to the tensile requirements and not necessarily the hardness llimits... blah.... blah... blah... tensile or hardness limits shall be upon agreement between the manufacturer and the purchaser." Well that'd all be well and good if our requirements were such that we needed to buy a mill run, but this is a small lot.

All tensile properties in this tubing spec. are listed as minimums only and I'm wondering if there's some general overall sort of rule for any amount over these minimums? Like maybe... "Not to exceed minimums by more than ?%."

Reason I'm asking is we sometimes encounter material that far exceeds the certs yield and ultimate spec. Our problem with this material variation is it changes the forming properties and requires us making a new die to account for those changes to run the material.

Our quantities for this particular part are too low for a mill run of material so we're shopping warehouses for material that is something "close" to what we typically get. Seems pretty odd to me that the "Society" would leave the top side wide open?

Any input appreciated...
    Bob

Technical Fellow
    Kelly??? You da documentation mamn !!

Quote Originally Posted by RWOLFEJR View Post
    All tensile properties in this tubing spec. are listed as minimums only and I'm wondering if there's some general overall sort of rule for any amount over these minimums? Like maybe... "Not to exceed minimums by more than ?%."

Reason I'm asking is we sometimes encounter material that far exceeds the certs yield and ultimate spec. Our problem with this material variation is it changes the forming properties and requires us making a new die to account for those changes to run the material.

Any input appreciated...
    Bob
    No, I'm not aware of any Max specification or rules on materials strength characteristics. I do know that different mill runs are a common challenge in manufacturing environments, particularly in forming operations.

To compensate, many organizations will have progressive dies in the forming process where the last die set creates the critical or important features.

Also, in production runs with new materials lots many organizations will builds few parts and make the adjustments to get an acceptable part. – Which does not help you.

Yes, I know I have not solved any problems – just feeling your pain.