Thread: house tap powered motor

Associate Engineer

house tap powered motor

don't know exactly what to google to find out about this but i am looking for some sort of device that is essentially just an electric motor but house tap powered
    i want to design and 3d print one using a real one for reference (or just buy one if its that cheap) but all i can find is industrial things

By "house tap" I assume you mean 120V AC 60Hz. Probably with a power cord and standard plug, right? Try McMaster or Grainger. You might have to physically go to the city counter of one of their locations and talk to someone. Even Lowes has several types of electric motors.

You want to "3D print" one? Really? Are you going to 3D print the copper windings? the bearings? the brushes? the internal wiring?

Buy one. But first you will have to define your needs. "I need a motor" won't do it. Speed? Torque? Mounting? Shaft size and type?

Yes, I'm confused - try a picture or...
    Quote Originally Posted by jessered566 View Post
    don't know exactly what to google to find out about this but i am looking for some sort of device that is essentially just an electric motor but house tap powered
    i want to design and 3d print one using a real one for reference (or just buy one if its that cheap) but all i can find is industrial things
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    sorry i mean a house water tap
    so water will go in and make it spin... basically a turbine but not for converting to electricity

i know this is a SUPER basic thing to be asking about but for the life of me i cant find anything like it

You want a water flow turbine or generator..
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.