Thread: AC condenser unit - cooling down the area with water spray

Associate Engineer

AC condenser unit - cooling down the area with water spray

Our AC condenser is located next to our concrete patio slab on the SE side of our home. Just behind it is the stucco walls of the house. Both the slab and walls get very hot on these 90F+ sunny days in our dry climate here in So Calif.

I've been spraying down the slab and walls that are within 10 feet of the AC unit, maybe putting down 5-10 gallons at a time and nearly all of it will evaporate within 2 minutes. I do this 2 or 3 times during the hottest parts of the day hoping that it will provide cooler air to the unit.

Is this making any substantial difference in the total power needed to run my AC?

Yes, that should help a little - watering down the heat exchange coils on the condenser itself would likely be better. If you could mist the air circulating through the coils that would improve the heat transfer.

Also you can shade the unit that will reduce the radiant heat transfer from the sun just be careful to not restrict the airflow of the fan.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Associate Engineer
    Thanks for the reply. I thought about watering the coils but decided against that because our hard water leaves some heavy deposits that may clog the openings.