Thread: Profile of a line on a drawing?

Profile of a line on a drawing?

I understand the premise of profile of a line. But I'm having a bit of a debate with another engineer about how to detail it out on a drawing. Do you have to define all the basic dimensions that make up that profile you want measured? Or do you simply point to the edge and call out profile of a line with your tolerance zone and datums. How many basic dimensions do you need to define profile of a line? If I have a complex profile do I just put a basic dimension at the start of the curve and another basic at the end? Or do I need any basic dimensions at all? Or do I need to put lengths of arcs and radius of curvature as basics that make up the complex curve?

For all ASME and ISO dimensioning and tolerancing standards the following applies:

From ASME Y14.5-2018 (ISO has similar wording)

"Dimensioning and tolerancing shall be complete so there is full understanding of the characteristics of each feature. Values may be expressed in an engineering drawing or in a CAD product definition data set. See ASME Y14.41. Neither scaling (measuring directly from an engineering drawing graphics sheet) nor assumption of a distance or size is permitted, except in undimensioned drawings, such as loft, printed wiring, templates, and master layouts prepared on stable material, provided the necessary control dimensions are specified. Model data shall be queried when dimensions are not displayed on the model."

You can use Basic dimensions, CAD data or some combination. Manufacturing and Inspection needs the data to build and inspect. However you get there as stated above works.
    Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.

Thanks Kelly.