Thread: How can I check if my generator has water damage?

Banned

Smile How can I check if my generator has water damage?

Hi guys,

I stored my generator in a waterproof enclosure, however the top of the enclosure formed a leak and allowed water to enter the enclosure and exposed my generator to water and possible damage. Any suggestions on exactely how I can prepare my generator for operation?

Any information would be great!

Thanks and regards
    Harry Potterish
    Last edited by administrator; 07-02-2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Edited duplicate content cut and paste from another website.

First, you need to inspect the generator for the obvious.

• Did water enter the engine core or lubrication areas?
    • Did water enter or submerge any electrical or electronics components?

After checking all of the above and determining that not water damage or penetration is present, I would simply start and run the generator for a short period of time. Shut down and check oil, and general.

Then restart and verify electrical output etc…

If you do have water penetration in the engine core – remove engine oil and flush the engine. Replace oil.

If electrical connections or components have been compromised, you may need to do cleanup or replacement as required.

Technical Fellow
    Sit it out on the sun and wind for a few days. Any water will evaporate and it is highly unlikely that it will leave any damaging residue on electrical parts.

There is very little likelihood of getting water inside the engine as generally they use an oiled foam filter and that will prevent run-off water passing through to the engine interior. Even if the filter is not oiled, getting water into the engine via the air filter will be tricky at best.

Unless the exhaust muffler system points strait up, there is zero chance of water getting in that way.

Personally, I would use a hair dryer or a heat gun on "Low," and go over everything that looks like it may have been in the path of the drain-off.