Thread: elongation at break

Associate Engineer

elongation at break

looking for elongation at break, in %, of AISI 1566 carbon steel. It is found nowhere on the web.

Are you actually looking for a stress-strain curve for AISI 1566?

579px-Stress_v_strain_A36_2_svg.jpg

Where:

1. Ultimate Strength
    2. Yield Strength
    3. Rupture
    4. Strain hardening region
    5. Necking region.
    A: Apparent stress (F/A0)
    B: Actual stress (F/A)

Technical Fellow
    Kelly, I think this is yet another one of those irritating, insufficient-information things. I get the impression he/she wants to be able to asses what's left after a stretch and break. But, it is anyone's guess at this point.

Associate Engineer
    Listen carefully, PinkertonD, elongation at break in % is required by IEC 60601-1 3rd edition for medical equipment. It is exactly what it says it is. If the material is 6" long and it breaks after elongating 3", then the elongation at break is 50%. It is commonly listed for plastics and many metals, but not 1566.
    How was that?

Technical Fellow
    I stand in awe of your humility and gratitude when requesting assistance. Good luck with that.

I am sure I read somewhere about flies, sugar and vinegar. I really must Google that.

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by gquinn View Post
    Listen carefully, PinkertonD, elongation at break in % is required by IEC 60601-1 3rd edition for medical equipment. It is exactly what it says it is. If the material is 6" long and it breaks after elongating 3", then the elongation at break is 50%. It is commonly listed for plastics and many metals, but not 1566.
    How was that?
    Well that's fun gquinn, however irrelevant..

I would go straight to the horse mouth…

AISI 1566 carbon steel information is available from the Society for American Materials Scientists or the American Iron and Steel Institute and other organizations (Google it) for about $25 - $40, search for AISI 1566 standard or specification.

Good luck..

gquinn, as a new user you may not be familiar with the fact that we gets LOTS of questions from posters here that:
    1. Assume the readers understand the poster's industry's specific vocabulary,
    2. Provide very little descriptive information to help fill in the picture for someone that has never even worked in the field of the question, and,
    3. Way too often will try to disguise a homework question as a real one. (That happens a lot, and makes us all a little suspicious of brief direct questions with no explanation.)

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've been involved in engineering for 35 years and I do not recall ever hearing the term "elongation at break". (Someone might have mentioned it way back in the dark ages when I was last around an academic environment but I've slept a lot since then.) I know I've never heard of "IEC 60601-1" and have not a clue what it means.

Frankly PinkertonD just expressed what several of us (wrongly) surmised, he just did it directly.

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully we can help with future questions.

Associate Engineer
    I've been engineering for about 30 years and I had never heard of elongation at break, either, nor of the "IEC", which I've found is some Euro-trash organization terrorizing companies into compliance before they can sell overseas. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, Kelly, I'll keep searching.

I've been engineering for about 30 years and I had never heard of elongation at break, either, nor of the "IEC", which I've found is some Euro-trash organization terrorizing companies into compliance before they can sell overseas. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, Kelly, I'll keep searching.
    Actually - I think you're looking for "Elongation at Rupture" or "Elongation at Failure" or maybe "Elongation to Failure"...

This information is typically in a stress-strain curve for the specified material

Associate Engineer
    I've been engineering for about 30 years and I had never heard of elongation at break, either, nor of the "IEC", which I've found is some Euro
    Elongation at Break - It's a common term for polymers and plastics, rarely used for metals. EoB for most steels are circa 20%, ask your supplier.

The IEC is the International Electrotechnical Commission, a global standards organisation. Its not European, but Global, co-founded by that dreadful fraud Thomas Edison. Its standards are consensual, and not legal unless made so by local law.
    Last edited by Kelly_Bramble; 09-12-2016 at 08:07 AM.

Actually, Elongation at Break is defined as the strain on a sample when it breaks. This usually is expressed as a percent.

The elongation at (to) break sometimes is called the ultimate elongation.