Thread: Flash point of natural gas in the presence of motor oil vapor?

Associate Engineer

Flash point of natural gas in the presence of motor oil vapor?

Hello,
    I work in the natural gas industry, specifically in production midstream/compression. The company I work for has several internal combustion driven compressors. These engines (cat 3606) vent the crankcase pressure into the atmosphere of the sound containment buildings within which they are contained. This PCV contains motor oil vapors which if a gas leak occurs could become mixed with natural gas (which is a "dry gas" and has a specific gravity of .56). I'm trying to determine whether or not this would lower the flash point of the atmosphere. Is there a resource I could consult that could shed some light on this topic or if anyone could point me (keeping in mind that I'm not an engineer so said resource/direction would need to be simple enough to understand with a high school education) in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Thanks
    E.Davis

Technical Fellow
    EB, here's my 5th grader's reply...

Why don't the engines vent back into the air intake and be burnt? Surely, venting into the enclosure is going to eventually mist an oil film over the walls of the enclosure and present and even bigger fire hazard from hot exhausts.

I would try fixing the problems, not discuss band-aid treatments.

Associate Engineer
    PinkertonD
    Thanks for the reply. My understanding from my hot-rod days is that motor oil in the combustion chamber causes pre-ignition/detonation. That is what made me think we may have another problem with possible building atmosphere flashpoint being below that of what natural gas is alone.

Technical Fellow
    But, these are diesel engines? No? Detonation, is not generally a problem in low-speed service-engines. However, if that is considered an issue then put a filter and collection system on the breathers.

I see little sense in trying to figure out safe operating policies for something that should not be there in the fist place, to wit, the oil vapor.

Band-aid comment still stands.