Thread: How to calculate stresses on a slotted part

Senior Engineer

How to calculate stresses on a slotted part

Hello folks, This is my first post, couldn't find someone who had already asked something like this.

I've got a part which has a T shaped male end which slides into a matching T shaped femal slot. I'm trying to figure out which approach is needed to calculate the stresses on the femal slot when different loads and load directions are applied. Im basically trying to figure out, at which load will the part rip out of the slot. Any direction would be appreciated.

ZA ohne nippel 42mm.jpg

Thanks
    Darrell

I would do both a cantilever bending beam analysis and a direct shear analysis. I think the real stress mechanism will be some combination of both. It will be a result of the geometry of the actual contact area.

Have you experimented? Do you know the failure mode?

Technical Fellow
    Hi Darrell,

When you say "rip out" are you talking about tearing (shearing) off the actual slide-metal for the slots or being forced to slide off the end of the slide. Is there impact involved? It looks like there may be fluid under pressure coming out when the sliding portion is transitioned.

JB has got you started. As he suggests, this may be easier and more reliable results to ascertain using real-world testing.

Senior Engineer
    Jboggs: I haven't gotten to any real testing yet, but your right, isolating the failure mode will tell me more. I see you're in myrtle beach; i grew up in wilmington myself. Thanks.

PinkertonD: By rip out I mean some sort of deformation between the slotted fit which allows the part to be removed. I don't mean sliding back out the way it came in; this should be well protected. Should be no impact involved. Thanks.

Technical Fellow
    Hi Darrell,

OK, so I would be more concerned about Shear. Especially on the mating/sliding part you have not shown. I am guessing it will have "L" shaped slides to it, so it will have a somewhat Rotational loading (double-cantilever) more than just Shear and thus need to be beefier than the part shown.

I would aim towards making it as big (thick) as possible and practical rather than rely on just calculations. Is there for instance a hose attached to the sliding/mating part that could bias a failure to one side or the other? Lotsa stuff to consider.

Senior Engineer
    PinkertonD,

The part is a torch connector for a welding machine. The tube is for the electrode wire to pass through into the welding torch. When the welder attaches his torch he gives himself a great deal of mechanical advantage over this connection. I want to see how much abuse it can take.

Technical Fellow
    Hi Darrell, well in that case it is as I suggested. Make it as big as practical /possible then test it to destruction. Pretty much the only real way. The theory will only get you to that starting point as there are so many variables that could be involved in the failure/yield point of the project.

Things like material grain, material grades, sharp or rounded corners for machining cuts etc. None of these can really be assessed by calculations. We can take a stab at them based on experience and add in Working Factors, but ultimately, testing is the only way to get reliable information for what you are after.

Well, in this old farts opinion anyway.