Thread: Effective Modulus ( BS 5950)

Associate Engineer

Effective Modulus ( BS 5950)

How to get effective modulus (Ze) for tee beam according to BS 5950 in order to design moment capacity, Mc? urgent... please... thank you

Machinery's Handbook... Section on Strength of Materials... Gives various shapes including T beams and the formula for finding section modulus, moment etc.

Associate Engineer
    but this is a civil and structural design work, not about mechanic and strength of material. What I want is to find elastic effective modulus (Ze according to British Standard 5950) for T beam and not section Modulus, 2 different things, thanks anyway.

Like the saying goes...
    Better to keep my mouth closed and risk appearing the fool than to open it and remove all doubt...
    But here I go anyway...

What you are talking about is way out of my league. Maybe Dave or Kelly or one of the other regulars on here can help you out. I did a search on Ze and found way more information than I need to get by in my day to day duties. Seff and Zeff... elastic vs. plastic... all that struck me as getting too detailed for a beam. Why not just add a factor of safety that seems appropriate to the structure and call it a day? But then again I'm not designing skyscrapers on a tight budget either.

Good luck!!
    Bob

Technical Fellow
    Quote Originally Posted by RWOLFEJR View Post
    Maybe Dave or Kelly or one of the other regulars on here can help you out.
    Sorry Bob and WH,

I rarely look in this Forum so I missed this one. Since you stated "urgent" almost a month back, I am sure the emergency has long passed.

Dave
    Generally, I will not give you the answer to your question, but I **will** guide you into discovering how to solve this yourself.