Thread: Steel section in synthetic rope

Associate Engineer

Steel section in synthetic rope

Hello Folks
    My problem is i need to put something metallic into, or on, a length of synthetic rope that can be detected by a proximity switch. The rope goes round a pulley so the metallic item needs to be flexible and the exterior of the rope is subject to excessive wear and will be immersed in slurry. I also need to be able to connect it without sliding it over the rope.
    Any suggestions will be greatly received.
    Regards
    Stewart

Technical Fellow
    Hi Stewart, welcome to the forum. Instead of the metal having to attach to the rope is there any way you can count the number of turns of the pulley? A short shaft with a lump on it and a counter.

Obviously you could crimp a band to the rope but the "the exterior of the rope is subject to excessive wear" is going to bring in repeatability issues. OR, if you can put the crimped-band further back on the rope so it is not involved in the slurry or the cause of wear.

Associate Engineer
    Thanks for the prompt reply. We have been using a counting system, but because slurry builds up on the drum, it makes the drum shaft greater, therefore more rope winds on and the end piece crashes into the stop before the panel as reached the set figure.

Technical Fellow
    Hi Stewart,

Then my second suggestions still applies. Can you find a spot on the rope that is not subject to rapid wear and does not go through the slurry? Crimp the ring there.

Associate Engineer
    Thanks Agian. The rope travels approx 100m through slurry on a concrete floor, pulling a sledge.

Technical Fellow
    OK, so how does the sled get back to the start? Put the crimp on that. I have to say that teasing more information from you piece by piece about the set up is getting tedious.

How do you think we can make meaningfull suggestions when we have no real concept of what you are trying to do?